Friday, October 10, 2014

Time for a new chapter in my health

     4 days ago, 2 days after my 47th birthday, I made a decision to make some changes to take back my health...really it is not taking it back, I have never really had good health. I almost failed 3rd and 6th grades because of health issues, between the migraines, bronchitis and tonsillitis I was sick a lot.  No one ever tried to figure out why at that age I was sick they just medicated me and sent us on our way.  Years later I still have the same problems only compounded because they have not been properly dealt with by those who were supposed to be there to care for me.  No one ever told me or my parents for that matter how harmful soda, candy and in general bad nutrition can effect your long term health. I had access to soda, candy, chips and deep fried foods daily in any amount I wanted to consume until I was 13 years old, at that time it didn't get any better, the access just became a little more difficult.

     My husband and I made choices when we started having children to give them a better start and we did for many years, we did most cooking from scratch, we didn't give the children soda and they kids all loved (still do) fruits and vegetables.  For about 10 years now we have not been quite so diligent, we have fallen to the convenience foods that are so easy to pop in the oven and take out when the timer has dinged. We and our children have suffered the consequences of those actions.

    It is time to make changes so our children do not have the same issues in their 40's. We have been visiting a wellness center where they focus on whole body health not just treating the symptoms but finding the problem.  I am feeling better but now it is time to focus on our nutrition, we do our best not to eat store bought meat & milk, we have chickens, rabbits & goats, we are trying to be more self-sufficient by eating what we raise.  A tower garden (sondra.towergarden.com) is in our future because I have not had good luck with gardening.  My husband and I have joined Juice Plus+ (sondra.juiceplus.com) and today is my first day on the Orchard Blend, Garden Blend and Vineyard Blend also this is day 4 of NO MORE caffeine!  I have not had a soda in 4 1/2 years but I replaced soda with sweet tea...lots of sweet tea!  Cold turkey I have dropped the tea and embraced lemon water.  I had terrible headaches and cravings the first 3 days but today is better, not that I don't WANT it very much but I know the rewards will out weigh these temporary challenges.

     Join me as I make these changes and improve my health and general wellness and that of my family as I learn to care for myself.
                                                                                                                         Sondra

1 comment:

  1. Actually not feeling totally exhausted tonight, guess the juice plus or the 12 glasses of water worked or maybe a combo of both!

    ReplyDelete