Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Comfort in a time of turmoil



Do you have a Hymnal in your home?
We actually have several, Lutheran Worship, the Lutheran Hymnal, the Hymnal for Worship & Celebration and a few more to round out a nice collection.  I was looking at them today after I got home.  Matt and I had just traveled through a terrible storm, tornadic winds and driving rain so I could hardly see the white line. I prayed the ½ hour it took me to go less than 7 miles in that mess.  While I let my nerves settle I thought about times when I had a van full of little kids and how we have been blessed to never have been stranded for very long and never feeling without hope or being in fear.
But, there have been times in my life that hasn’t been the case.  After tonight I’ve decided to carry a hymnal in the van, not only does it have the beloved songs, it has scriptures for all occasions and responsive readings.  Just think of the comfort it would bring in a time of crisis or discouragement.  I sometimes get a “brain-cramp” when I am stressed and having the hymnal within reach would be a constant reminder that God is near.  Singing a cherished song or reading the Psalms…what better way to calm the nerves than to sing?  Scripture is God’s physical, tangible gift to us, don’t let it go to waste, in times of need He has given us a song to lift our spirits and our heart.  Having both in one book, it doesn’t get much better than that!
To God Be the Glory
To God be the glory great things He hath done! So loved He the world that He gave us His Son, Who yielded His life an atonement for sin.  And opened the Life-gate that all may go in.
Refrain:                Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, Let the earth hear His voice!
Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, Let the people rejoice!
O, come to the Father thru Jesus the Son, And give Him the glory great things He hath done!
O, perfect redemption the purchase of blood! To every believer the promise of God; The vilest offender who truly believes, That moment from Jesus a pardon receives!
Refrain
Great things He hath taught us, great things He hath done, And great our rejoicing thru Jesus the Son; But purer and higher and greater will be Our wonder, our transport , when Jesus we see.
Refrain
Text: Franny Crosby  Music: William Doane
I pray God’s blessings and mercies to you,
Sondra

No comments:

Post a Comment